Book 3 : Who Moved My Cheese?

Book 3:  Who Moved my Cheese?

Author : Dr Spencer Johnson

Genre:  Self-Help

Tone:  Metaphorical/ Analogical motivation

Published: 1998
                                        Amazon.com: Who Moved My Cheese?: An A-Mazing Way to Deal with ...

Why I chose this book: Its year 2000 and the Harry Potters are still ruling. Amidst them, a tiny book at number two caught my attention. In 2001 it climbs to number one with over twenty six million copies sold in thirty seven languages. Way back in the early 2000's My husband had given me this book to read and for some reason I never did. At that point of time it did not appeal to me. Again this book raised a tingle of nostalgia over lost opportunities. And yet again, I picked up something I had missed. 

My Take:

Who Moved My Cheese is a single , simple, short, metaphorical  story which could have easily been  a column in a Sunday edition of any newspaper. It is definitely the shortest book I have ever read ,under forty five minutes that is and that too because there is a prelude and an epilogue. Its a story about two mice called "Sniff" and "Scurry" and two little men "Hem" and "Haw" who live in a maze. Constantly looking for Cheese, they strike gold when they find huge amounts of cheese in a corner of the maze. Days go by....but then what happens when the cheese gets over? Cheese is a metaphor for all things that we aspire for and are important for us.... love, respect....a specific goal. But when the cheese gets over, whom do we behave like? Sniff, Scurry , Hem or Haw?  I guess the names tell all.

The story suits any kind of situation more so in the business environment but also can be applied to personal growth. At the time it was written ,businesses across the world were undergoing huge change and the story was definitely life changing for some. Did it change my life? Not really, but it did make me ponder about the current pandemic and the huge change that it has made to our day to day lives. So in this scenario, our cheese has definitely been moved. Are we going to rue over the lost cheese or are we going to use it as an opportunity for growth? Are you going to sniff and scurry or are you going to hem and haw? I would recommend it as a quick read.

Who Moved My Cheese? – Dong Ping Zhang






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book4: Skipping Christmas

Book 6: The Secret Life of Bees